Thursday, January 13, 2011

Braidy

So my new favorite thing this week is a little wonder named Braidy. I found out about him when I started my new job (one down on the 2011 list) and his whole purpose in life is to help students improve their oral language abilities. Braidy is so great because he is a puppet for the little ones but the strategies that Braidy incorporates can be implemented with older kids. Here he is:


Essentially, Braidy is a type of Story Grammar Marker (Braidy look-alikes can be created very easily - just need to make a mad dash to Michaels...I am all about the knock-offs!) Braidy's head represents the Character. The star represents the Setting. The shoe was chosen to initiate the "kick-off" event. The heart is there to represent the internal response or how the character feels. The hand is the Plan of Action- what will the character do? The beads are Attempts or Actions which represent how the "plan" is to be carried out. The bow is the Direct Consequence of the action and the little heart at the end is the Resolution.

You can use Braidy's icons when asking older students to write their own stories. Here is the link if you want to take a look at him: http://buyersguide.asha.org/productshowcase.php?ps_id=1294


I just love this guy. I think he will come in handy this semester with the kiddos that I will have.... :) I will copy him and keep him in my folder of goodies as well for future endeavors.
That's all.
M

No comments:

Post a Comment